Monday, November 21, 2011

Now I Get It

It has been seven months since my last blog post. So many times I have thought how I would love to blog about this or that. I miss blogging; I truly do. Back when I started this blog in 2007 I didn't think I had much to share. I had only been homeschooling a few years, and my oldest was in first grade. I remember thinking back then that I wish there were more veteran homeschoolers in the blogosphere. Most bloggers seemed to be like me, in the first few years of their journey. Now that I feel like I have a bit more to share (although I know in the grand scheme of things I am still a newbie in most respects) I just don't have time - or haven't had the discipline to make the time, I should say.

Days fill up quickly. They really do. This year I am homeschooling all three boys. Thatcher is in 5th grade, Haddon in 1st, and Beckett is in Kindergarten. I wake up at 5:00 each day to have time to read my Bible, exercise on the treadmill and grab a quick shower before the boys are up at 7:00. Then it's chores, breakfast, discipleship and we're off. We are schooling to 4:00 most days. Whatever is not done by 4:00 typically doesn't get done until the next day. I know for some school doesn't take that long but with an ADHD'er in the mix it just does for us. Then it's time to pick up and start dinner. After dinner this fall we were heading to the baseball and/or soccer fields Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights plus games on Saturdays. We have always had a rule that each child would only participate in one sport/activity at a time but with three boys - three practices and three games each week meant six outside commitments. We get home and then it's time for baths and bed - for the boys AND for me! :)

Homeschooling is harder than I ever thought it would be. This year has just about eaten my lunch in so many ways. Most of my friends are experiencing similar feelings of exhaustion and/or burnout. Yet at the same time, it is good. I am still thankful for the blessing of homeschooling my boys...most days anyway ;) Dh and I had a great conversation recently which pushed me out of a pity party I had been having with myself and set me back on a better path.

The whole reason for this post was mostly to say, "Hello!" I am still here. Still homeschooling. Still thinking about all I would love to share. Happy Thanksgiving to any readers I still may have. I hope your week off is full of blessings, restfulness and time to recharge. This blog post is the start of that for me.

4 comments:

Daisy said...

Nice to hear from you!

carole said...

Hello! Yes, I still follow your blog. :) We make your golden pancakes on a regular basis.
I know you just explained that you don't have much breathing room for blogging (me neither), but if you get a moment to share how you got out of your pity party, that'd be awesome. Mine pretty much goes like this: "I know homeschooling is "worth it," but it is so much work, there is no compensation, and it's not very fun. I don't like my job." (accompanied by sounds of whining and crying)

Kellie said...

Well, I'm not disciplined with blogging either, but I think you more than make up for it with how disciplined you are with your days. When I think about all I want to accomplish in a day, I know my day should look like yours, and yet I never seem to get there. I too would love to hear how the pity party ended -- I think it's something we all go through.

Good to hear from you, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Andrea said...

Sometimes I think that you are pulling words directly from my head & putting them on your blog! We have been away from the blogosphere for a while as well and I have been in the midst of a pityparty (in our case brought on by pregnancy/baby #5).

Homeschooling IS hard and it IS worthwhile. Although I love blogging too and I love my bloggy friends but home schooling is priority. You are doing a great job as you enter a tougher academic year (we are encountering the same thing with our 5th grade boy) and you will be blessed to all that you put into these boys!

Glad you're still around! Keep on keeping on!
Blessings,
Andrea