Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year 2012!

Today, of course, marks the start of a new year. I love new beginnings. I really, really do. A new year means a chance to evaluate the old and start fresh with the new: new ideas, new goals, new inspiration. But what makes today different than yesterday? Nothing much, really. Still I love the chance to start over, even if today doesn't look much different than yesterday - except that little number "2" on the calendar. 

I have always loved how Heidi at Mt. Hope Chronicles chooses "One Little Word" word to define her upcoming year. This word sets the tone for your year; a word to act as a filter to the goals we set, the decisions we make and the ways we choose to spend our time and energies. Ali Edwards started "One Little Word" and she says:
In 2006, I began a tradition of choosing one word for myself each January - a word that I can focus on, meditate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life. My words have included play, peace, vitality, nurture, light, and story. These words have each become a part of my life in one way or another. They've been imbedded into who I am, and into who I'm becoming. They've been what I've needed (and didn't know I needed). They've helped me to breathe deeper, to see clearer, and to grow. 
This year I wanted to do something similar, but I couldn't select just one word.  Before I tell you what I chose, let me give some context since I have not been blogging regularly. In preparing for 2012 there were a few things to factor into my thinking. First, dh has been working on his doctorate, and this month begins an 18 month season when he will be writing his thesis. I need to be available to carry a heavier load at home during this upcoming time. Second, I mentioned a few posts back that this year is the year I want to start decorating my home.  I am so excited about this and already have my first few projects lined up. Third, I shared that I recently came out of a pity party I had been having. Several of you asked me to share what snapped me out of it, and there were several factors: nudgings from the Holy Spirit, a life-giving conversation with dh, and an article at Desiring God I found through a link on my friend Melissa's blog (A Time for Everything) called "Motherhood as a Mission". I was absolutely re-inspired to focus on my home as my mission field. Fourth, I recently had an amazing conversation with a mom who reached out to me via email about raising a child with Asperger's. As I wrote to her I had some revelations (that I will write more about soon) that also factored into my choosing of my "One Little Word" which has become "One Little Phrase"! 

So what did I choose? 

Simplify, Beautify, Make Time to Play, 
Laugh More, Cherish Every Moment

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. This phrase will be my "filter" for the upcoming year. I will refer to it regularly and have even typed it at the top of my Daily Docket to keep it before me each and every day. What are your goals for 2012? Do you have "One Little Word" or "One Little (or not so little) Phrase"? 




No comments: